Espresso & Ice Cream! Oh My!
We are a big fan of this dessert cocktail recipe - who doesn't love a coffee based treat? For us, summer means plenty of ice cream! Top yours off with espresso, cream liqueur and chocolate shavings. Voilà, you just made an Affogato!
MAKES TWO DRINKS
- 2 shots of espresso or 6 tablespoons of strong brewed coffee
- 2 scoops vanilla gelato
- 1oz cream liqueur (optional)
- Optional Toppings: dark chocolate shavings or chopped hazelnuts
- Start with the gelato, then pour hot espresso or strong brewed coffee over the gelato and allow it to melt a little.
- Stir in cream liqueur, if using.
- Top with chocolate shavings and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- There is no wrong way to make this recipe! In a "true" Affogato the espresso is a topping for the ice cream, with a typical ratio of 75% ice cream and 25% espresso (enjoyed with a spoon). However, we have friends who enjoy two scoops of ice cream and a full cup of coffee, which creates a creamy beverage. Either way is delicious!